Wednesday, January 20, 2010

2010 Goals and the next 90 Days!

Irony is setting a New Year’s resolution to stay current and blog more often in 2010 and then not publish a blog proclaiming that resolution and then waiting until the 20th of January to post my first blog of the year. Sigh… Hopefully I am back on track and will keep moving forward.

First a few housekeeping issues:

1) My New Year’s resolution for 2010 is to stay up to date and publish more often on my blog.

2) I am planning a 2009 in review Blog and I hope that I can post that within a week.

OK, on to today’s main topic.

2010 is shaping up to potentially be a banner year for me on several fronts; relationship, financially and with a little luck the job front and well. Some of those items will be covered in my other blog that Kris and I write together, “A Life More Complete”. I invite you to take a look and see what we are up too when we are not racing or training, which is the subject matter for this blog.

When it comes to the fitness, racing, running, triathlon, multisport front, we have now pretty much nailed down our schedule for the year race wise, and we are now putting together the specifics of our training schedule. From a 10,000 foot view 2010 is shaping like this:

Jan 20th – April 20th: will be our 90 day get back into shape for the season and I will explain the 90 day thing in a minute.

April – June: will be focused on running speed with our goal “A” race being William A Irvin 5K where we both hope to set new 5K PR and in particular, my goal will be a sub 20 minute 5K.

June – mid September: We switch to the multisport side of things and work on our speed during Sprint Triathlons & Duathlons, with the final race being a strange mix of speed and endurance at Burrito Union 10 Hour Triathlon as a two person relay team. (One of us completes a full sprint triathlon and then the second person starts the “next leg”, another full sprint triathlon on the same course, and then we alternate until the cut of time 10 hours later.

September- December: Will see us switching back to running but in an endurance mode with plans to run the New York Marathon (I already have a lottery entry and Kris is trying for this year) in November, Las Vegas Rock & Roll Marathon in December and then after the first of the year, Goofy’s Challenge – Half Marathon on Saturday and Full Marathon on Sunday at Disneyland.

It is going to be a full year! Not only with our race schedule but we are also adding new components, winter sports (XC Ski and Snowshoe), Trail Running, Orienteering and Adventure racing as well. I will be updating our race schedule on the right side of the screen in the next few days as well.

OK, so now you might be wondering what the 90 day thing is all about. You may or may not know that on April 20th I will be turning 40, and I have always hoped to be in the best shape of my life on my 40th birthday. A few years ago life was much different and I had packed on the pounds, I think my unofficial max weight was 240. July 5th 2007 ended up being a significant date as it was then that I realized how out of shape I had become, funny how you can look at a picture and suddenly see yourself in a completely different light. Starting Aug 2007, I managed to lose close to 60 pounds and discovered my love of running and being active.


So now I feel that I am in good shape, was probably at my peak last year around the time of Race the Lake and the Minneapolis Duathlon. But as with any off season, you slide back a bit and loose that edge. So to kick start our 2010 season and achieve my goal of being in the best shape of my life on my 40th birthday, we (Kris is joining me in the endeavor) are planning on the next 90 days to diet, exercise and getting ready to start the season in top shape.

Since I started getting back in shape, I firmly believed in accountability, and they best way to be held accountable is to publicly state your goals. I did this with my first half marathon and then again with my first marathon. And keeping in that light, I am going to post my current “state of the body” and my goal for April 20th. So here is my current information:

Current Weight: 192lbs


I don’t have any particular goals for the measurements, those are just interesting benchmarks; my major goal is my weight. The plan is to be down to 170lbs, lean and a low body fat percentage and I am hoping that for my birthday to conduct a V2O Max and a new Bod Pod testing for body composition for additional benchmarks going forward.

So how do I (we) get from here to there in 90 days? We have joined ALARC and are attending their Speed & Core class; the classes are on Monday and Wednesday evenings and Saturday morning, which we plan on attending 2 sessions a week. We have also found a different Masters Swim group that is at 6-7am Wednesday and Friday. As much as we both love Scott’s Hopkins Masters group, the 5:30 is just too early for us and the 6:30 is just a little too late before work. We are also going to be on a diet and closely track what we eat with Livestrong.com’s Daily Plate.

We have already started getting back out and running this past weekend and our first race, just for fun, is this coming Saturday, the Securian Frozen 5K. A great swag race as they give out a nice coffee cup for finishing the race.

Wish me luck! I will continue to keep you informed of my progress and I hope that by reading this you will hold me accountable to my goals. 2010 is going to be a great year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment